Skip to main content

Jubilee Primaries, what next for Mike Sonko and Peter Kenneth?

After the Friday, April 21st, 2017 Jubilee Party Primaries, the following scenarios will likely take place

If Sonko beats Peter Kenneth for the Nairobi Governor ticket, Peter Kenneth, need not worry because he is a "Sure Bet" for a powerful cabinet slot that will give him visibility and devoid of controversies (I am thinking Devolution Ministry) if Jubilee party wins presidential elections. Strategy? Statehouse 2022 if the powers that be favors his candidature.

On the other hand, if Peter Kenneth wins the primaries, Sonko may have little chances or none at all for nomination or appointment to Jubilee's cabinet secretary team, this is  because of his recent altercation with some powerful forces within the party who seemed to be against his gubernatorial ambitions (You remember the supposed denial of the certificate of good conduct? And the explosive interview with Hussein Mohammed on Citizen TV, where he rubbed shoulders with top party officials, whom he accused of being against his candidature? Some people also don't approve his type of politics, while some say he lacks the managerial skills needed for such technocrat positions.

Sonko's option would be to go it alone (Independent Candidate) and go for the senatorial seat under the NASA umbrella to frustrate jubilee. (He got the people's support and that is crucial in politics). Why I think it would be difficult for him to go it alone in the gubernatorial race (Without support from either NASA-ODM/Jubilee) is because, as we near elections, these two parties will dictate the politics of the city. Sonko would, therefore, need the backing of either NASA-ODM (Kidero & Mueke have this ticket already) or Jubilee which will be unavailable if he loses to PK.

But on fair grounds, Sonko would beat Peter Kenneth fair and square come Friday, not unless PK plays the tribal card, which would then see all his tribesmen voting for him. (Can Sonko overcome tribal politics if PK plays this card?, we all know who are majority in jubilee party in Nairobi).

What if Peter Kenneth losses to Sonko?

An idea for PK if he loses to Sonko in the Primaries would be instead of Cabinet slot or Senate/National Assembly nomination, he would consider forming a foundation targeting the poor Kenyan, whose interests will be in areas touching the poor Kenyan back in the village? I know this is a too common idea, but what if through the foundation he replicated what Sonko is doing in Nairobi to different Key regions in the country, hence becoming a “Sonko” to the poor Kenyans across different regions where the majority of the voters is the poor common mwananchi?

Say, a foundation that would even decide to provide lunch to kids in selected rural Kenya (Areas with dire need of such meals), as another wing of the Foundation would focus on  jobless youths for short term technical courses, say driving, Saloon, and Masonry (of course we could have more of such courses here) as another wing focuses on fish farming across the farming communities, while another wing focuses on Boda Boda Operators etc., just but to name a few ideas.

The foundation should have clear goals for different programs/Wings of its operation. However, the major goal should be to make him visible and a darling to the different set of voters in different regions of the country. He should be seen as the real deal even before 2022. His popularity should be on the same level as that of the ruling government then. To achieve such popularity, he should have a strong Public Relation (PR) team. With, for instance, having televised joint graduation ceremony for all cohorts in the technical courses and this repeated periodically

PK must be to different regions (Especially Unfriendly Regions) to what Sonko is in Nairobi. If he, (PK) strategically creates Service Delivery and empowerment programs specially designed for different regions of the country, you can be sure for in 5 years, he will be miles ahead of even established political heavyweights in the country then.

Funds? His home backyard, Murang’a has some of the wealthiest persons in the country, with a clear strategy, he should be able to convince them to fund such a program. I believe, even Murang’a would want one of their own in the presidency. 

What do you think, would be the best move for either of the party if they lose in the primaries?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her So Far Away!

In Her Own World Life has always been a journey, a journey with lots and lots of challenges. A journey with both success stories and failure. A journey for the strong and the weak where time and chance happens to both but only the smart ones sail through. Look, on this journey of life, in my daily hustles and bustles, I meet lots of people, people who have had positive and negative impact in my life, in equal measures. And NO, my story is not on that line. My story is on "HER." Look, on this day I am walking out of my place of work and I spot  HER. You see, men can point out pointees amidst the crowd. True story; a pointee is a pointee if only she behaves like a pointee... so here I am stranded looking at this pointee, and yes, magic happens I get a smile. True to my male genes, by a split of a second I had her phone number, I had her name. Bingooooo!! I just scored. Couple of days later, thanks to WhatsApp, we were best friends, just like that, that's how it...

The Perfect Guy was a Fraud!

Author: Nancy B.K Was the story intended for public view?   I am yet to find that out. You see we are all born to be wise by the admonitions taught. The Perfect Guy Movie I once gave up on everything, the work of not becoming myself just to become perfect and looking for the perfect guy. NOTE: If you are looking for the perfect guy, then you need to watch some thriller called ‘The perfect guy’ … forgetting that we are the ones to make our partners perfect because Mr.  & Ms. Perfect don’t exist, save for movie scripts and Mexican soap operas. You know the likes of Alejandro & Maximiliano from the soap operas. They say everyone is perfect in their own way but “my way” I still don’t know where it lies because as I came to learn Nobody’s perfect. Let’s say it’s because I haven’t got my ‘Mr. Right’, but is there really such a thing like a perfect partner? Maybe there is one out there perfectly created for me. Let me tell you of one, Alex “my ideal perfect ...

You are AMAZING!

Believe and Act So! You want to discover how amazing you are? This piece is not for you, I have no power to help anyone discover how marvelous they are. With all honesty and sincerity, I have no such powers. What I have is nothing magical, its what you have been told each day, each stage of your life. I bet a thousand times you must have been told "You are amazing" a thousand times you were filled with joy, a thousand times you were proud of yourself; Why? people know that you are amazing and that feels cool! Mine is simple. Point out to you why you being amazing is not just mere words of inspiration that gives you joy for while, then you get back to your old self.  Some years back I meet some guy in college, this was my first week  in college and its was during orientation. Mike, the friend I just met in my first week in college shared with me something that I have never forgotten to date. He came from rural Kenya, but the guy was intelligent as I came to realiz...